Acquisition of georgian citizenship
Georgian citizenship is the legal bond of a person to Georgia. a citizen of Georgia cannot at the same time be the citizen of another state, except for the exceptional cases specified in the Constitution of Georgia. Georgian citizenship may be acquired at birth and by naturalization.
Determining a Georgian Citizenship
A person is considered a citizen of Georgia, if:
- At least one of his/her parents is a Georgian citizen, at the time the person is born;
- A person is born on the territory of Georgia as a result of an extracorporeal fertilization (surrogating), when home countries of neither of his/her parents consider the person to be its citizen;
- He/she is a child of a stateless persons in Georgia and has been born on the territory of Georgia;
- A person is born on the territory of Georgia, with one parent being a stateless person in Georgia and the other parent being unknown.
An underage person who lives in Georgia and whose parents are unknown is considered a citizen of Georgia until an opposite is established.
Apart from the above-listed, the following persons are also citizens of Georgia:
- Persons born before 31 march 1975 who have resided in Georgia for at least five years in total, were on the territory of Georgia by 31 march 1993 and have not acquired the citizenship of another country;
- Persons born after 31 march 1975 who lived on the territory of Georgia by 31 march 1993 and have not acquired the citizenship of another country;
- Persons born in Georgia who left Georgia after 21 december 1991 and therefore do not meet the requirements stipulated in the 1st and 2nd Paragraphs, provided that they have not acquired the citizenship of another country.
An application to determine the Georgian citizenship can be submitted in person or via an authorized representative to the territorial office of the Public Service development agency, a branch of the Public Service Hall, or a Community Centre. Persons living outside of Georgia can apply to a diplomatic mission or a consular office of Georgia abroad or apply online via the distance service of the Public Service development agency here: https://intpass.sda.gov.ge/.
Determination of a Georgian citizenship occurs:
- When an identity document of a Georgian citizen is issued;
- When the birth of a person is registered;
- When a person is registered according to his/her place of residence;
- When the statement on the determination of Georgian citizenship is requested.
The statement on the determination of Georgian citizenship is issued by the Public Service development agency.
Granting Georgian Citizenship
Georgian citizenship can be acquired by naturalization. the decision to grant Georgian citizenship to a person is taken by the President of Georgia. the decision is authorized by the Presidential order.
Georgian citizenship can be granted in the following manner:
- Under an ordinary procedure;
- Under a simplified procedure;
- As an exception;
- Through restoration.
Georgian citizenship shall be granted with an ordinary procedure to an adult who meets the following requirements:
- Has to legally and uninterruptedly reside in Georgia for at least 5 years prior to the submission of the application. a document certifying a legal and uninterrupted stay in Georgia is a Georgian visa, a residence permit or card, a stamp bearing the date certifying the crossing the Georgian state border;
- Should know the state language to the pre-defined level. Georgian language skills are examined by a special commission through testing;
- Should know Georgia’s history and the basis of Georgian legislation. applicant’s knowledge is examined by a special commission through testing;
- Should be employed in Georgia or/and own a real estate in Georgia, or be engaged in entrepreneurial activities on the territory of Georgia, or own interest or shares in an enterprise in Georgia.
When Georgian citizenship is granted with an ordinary procedure, the paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 do not apply to incapacitated persons; the paragraphs 2 and 3 do not apply to persons whose physical disability makes it impossible to assess these requirements; and finally, paragraph 4 does not apply to the persons with the refugee status.
An underage person who has not acquired Georgian citizenship at birth is granted the citizenship with an ordinary procedure, if one of his/her parents is a Georgian citizen or if the underage person is adopted by a Georgian citizen.
An underage person with the refugee or the stateless status in Georgia, who was born in Georgia and has been living in Georgia for five years, is granted a Georgian citizenship with the ordinary procedure.
To be granted Georgian citizenship with the ordinary procedure, a foreign citizen can apply to the authorized body. Presidential order on granting Georgian citizenship to a foreign citizen comes into effect as soon as the competent state authorities in Georgia receive a document certifying the renunciation of foreign citizenship by that person.
Georgian citizenship shall be granted with the simplified procedure to a person married to a Georgian citizen who has been legally and uninterruptedly residing in Georgia for 2 years prior to the submission of the application. additionally, a person is required to know the state language, Georgian history, and the basics of Georgian legislation.
Exceptional procedure of granting a Georgian citizenship may be applied to a foreign citizen who has made an outstanding contribution to Georgia or to the cases when granting a Georgian citizenship to the person is in the national interests of the country. these exceptional situations are prescribed in the Constitution of Georgia.
When granting Georgian citizenship as an exception, the Commission on Citizenship issues under the Public Service development agency establishes the existence of conditions prescribed in the Constitution of Georgia. in certain cases the Commission may invite a foreign citizen for an interview.
Georgian citizenship may be restored to a person whose Georgian citizenship has been terminated:
- Due to renunciation of the Georgian citizenship;
- Based on the decision of his/her parent(s).
In order to have the Georgian citizenship restored, a person should know Georgian language to a certain level. This requirement is waved if the person’s citizenship was unlawfully terminated. It also does not apply to incapacitated persons and persons whose physical disability makes it impossible to assess the level of the language skills.
Applications for the acquisition of Georgian citizenship can be submitted in person or through an authorised representative. the applications are submitted at the territorial offices of the Public Service development agency, a branch of the Public Service Hall, or at a Community Centre. applicants living outside of Georgia can apply to a diplomatic mission or a consular office of Georgia abroad.
A Presidential order on granting/restoring a Georgian citizenship to a foreign citizen comes into effect after the competent state authorities receive a document certifying the renunciation of the foreign citizenship by that person.
A decision on granting Georgian citizenship by naturalization is made within 3 months.
In the event of a negative decision, a person can reapply to an authorized state body with the same request after 6 months.