Termination of Georgian citizenship
Citizenship of Georgia may be terminated by withdrawal from the Georgian citizenship or loss of Georgian citizenship.
Withdrawal from Georgian citizenship
The withdrawal from the citizenship of Georgia means the refusal to be a citizen of Georgia.
Every citizen of Georgia has the right to withdraw from the Georgian citizenship. to this end, a person shall apply to a territorial office of the Public Service development agency, branch of the Public Service Hall, or a Community Centre. those who are outside Georgia shall apply to Georgia’s diplomatic mission or the consular office.
Filing an application on withdrawal from Georgian citizenship is possible to make through distance service, by the website of the Public Service development agency: http://sda.gov.ge/?page_id=5432
Along with an application, a person seeking withdrawal shall submit the following documents to an authorized entity:
- A copy of the document certifying the citizenship of Georgia;
- For male person between 18 and 27 years– a copy of military service card or a document certifying that the military recruitment has been postponed or the person has been exempted from military service;
- For minor – a copy of birth certificate and a written consent of his/her legal representative;
- In case an applicant changed his/her name or/and surname, he/she may be asked to provide a copy of document certifying the latter.
The term for reviewing and taking a decision on the withdrawal from the Georgian citizenship is up to 3 months.
A final decision on the withdrawal from the Georgian citizenship is taken by the President of Georgia based on the conclusion of the Public Service development agency and confirmed with a corresponding Presidential order.
An order of the President of Georgia on the withdrawal from the Georgian citizenship takes effect:
- 1. Upon the receipt by the competent Georgian authorities of the document certifying the acquisition of the foreign citizenship by a person;
- 2. On the 15th day of signing the order, if the person submits the document issued by a competent authority of another country confirming that in the event of the withdrawal from the Georgian citizenship the person will necessarily be granted the citizenship of that country;
Loss of Georgian citizenship
The Georgian citizenship is lost in case if:
- A person has joined the military, police or security service of another state, without the permission of the competent authorities of Georgia;
- A person has acquired Georgian citizenship by submitting forged documents;
- A person has acquired the citizenship of another country (except for cases when a person was granted the Georgian citizenship as an exception resulted in dual citizenship).
If there are any of these grounds for the loss of the citizenship, a citizen of Georgia may submit an application to any territorial office of the Public Service development agency, branch of the Public Service Hall, or a Community Centre. alongside an application, a person shall submit documents certifying the grounds of the loss of citizenship. those who reside outside Georgia shall apply to Georgia’s diplomatic mission or consular office abroad.
Note: Any Georgian public entity, having learned about the grounds of the loss of the citizenship shall send a relevant notification to the Public Service development agency. if the agency, without the notification submitted by the other state authority learns about the grounds of the loss of Georgian citizenship, it shall start proceedings on the loss of Georgian citizenship in accordance with the established rule and submit corresponding documents to the President of Georgia.
A final decision on the loss of Georgian citizenship is taken by the President of Georgia based on the conclusion of the Public Service development agency.
The term for considering the case and making decision on the loss of Georgian citizenship shall not exceed 3 months.